Monday, March 23, 2015

St. Thomas Moore

Now that I have returned from Uganda, I want to blog several more times about the trip. As I said in my previous post, the visit to St. Thomas Moore was amazing. All my trips there have been great, but for some reason this surpassed them. As I was reflecting on why this was the case, I came to the conclusion that the Program Manager of the Gulu Cluster, Harriet, was a major reason for it. I thought I had a picture of her by herself, but I didn't take one so this picture will have to do. She translated for me when I spoke with the students.



Harriet is warm, inviting and full of joy. Not only did she make us feel welcome, she made the students and the teachers at St. Thomas Moore feel welcome. There was something in the way that she interacted with all of us that made for such a memorable visit, I think.

I kept remembering the first two visits and the contrast of what I was experiencing on this visit. It was so different. I could not have imagined the degree of change that our partnership had produced back in 2008 and 2009.

The Director of Education for northern Uganda, Catherine, attended the first part of the day. I was impressed with her demeanor and with the message that she shared with the students. After the ground breaking ceremony was completed, she gracefully departed for another function. Below is her picture.



According to Alex, St. Thomas Moore is ranked number 11 in the northern district. 

No comments:

Post a Comment